Compare Commercial Solar Panels at the right price from the right installer
Installation of Commercial Solar Panels
Installing the most efficient commercial solar panels present a sustainable and cost-effective solution for businesses to reduce their energy costs and carbon footprint. By harnessing the power of the sun, companies can generate their own electricity, leading to substantial savings over time.
Absolutely, the future of commercial solar power looks very promising. As businesses continue to seek ways to reduce their carbon footprint and save on energy costs, solar power is an increasingly attractive option.
In this guide you can learn all about business solar and get your own perspective.
are commercial solar panels worth it?
Are solar panels worth it for commercial buildings and UK companies? In the long-run the answer is yes and if gas and electric keeps rising - even more so.
- Commercial solar has become a viable investment for many businesses, presenting an opportunity to reduce energy costs by solar power, contribute to environmental sustainability, and enhance corporate image.
- The size, efficiency, and cost of these panels can vary significantly based on the specific requirements of the commercial building. Generally, larger panels tend to have a higher wattage, translating to a greater energy yield.
- The average commercial solar panel can produce a substantial amount of energy, but the exact figure depends on factors such as geographic location, panel orientation, and local weather conditions.
do you need planning permission for commercial solar panels?
When you are asking do you need planning permission for the answers are here. In the United Kingdom, the installation of business solar panels typically falls under Permitted Development rights, which means you may not require explicit planning permission.
- However, this is subject to conditions and limitations. For instance, the panels should not be installed above the highest part of the roof (excluding the chimney) and they should not protrude more than 200mm from the roof or wall plane.
- Additionally, if your premises are located in a conservation area or a World Heritage Site, or if the building is listed, you may need to apply for planning permission.
- It's always prudent to consult with your local planning authority prior to commencing any commercial solar panel installation, to ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and restrictions.
- Pick up phone and ask your local council do you need planning permission for business solar panels and they'll guide you with a planning form if necessary.
How Efficient are Commercial Solar Panels?
- Commercial solar panels are notably efficient, with most panels operating at around 15%-20% efficiency. This refers to the proportion of sunlight hitting the panel that is converted into usable electricity.
- High-quality panels can reach efficiencies of over 22%. It's important to note that efficiency can be influenced by several factors, including the angle and orientation of the panels, the amount of sunlight, and the temperature.
- Even in less-than-ideal conditions, commercial solar panels can still generate a significant amount of electricity. They are designed to withstand harsh weather and perform consistently over long periods, making them a reliable choice for businesses of all sizes.
how much do commercial solar panels cost?
When you are asking what do commercial solar panels cost, the answer varies from system to system . Let's find out more about the cost of commercial solar panels and what they cost to install on a commercial building like your.
- How much does it cost to install business solar panels in the UK can vary widely depending on several factors including the size of the installation, the type of panels used, SolarNut Solar Installation can help ease the complexity of the installation process.
- As a whole, commercial solar photovoltaic (PV) system installations typically cost in the region of £750 per kilowatt peak (kWp) to around £1,000 per kWp. To provide a more concrete cost estimate, for a larger 200kWp system, one can expect an investment ranging from £150,000 to £200,000.
- As general guideline for smaller systems, you may expect to pay between £1,000 and £2,000 per installed kilowatt. For a medium-sized business requiring a 30kW system, this would translate to an investment of between £30,000 and £65,000.
- This initial investment covers the cost of solar panels, inverters, mounting systems, and other necessary equipment, as well as installation and grid connection costs.
- Keep in mind that these are approximate figures and what commercial solar panels cost can vary based on the specifics of the installation, including the type and quality of the panels, the complexity of the installation, and regional differences in costs.
- Despite the initial capital outlay, the substantial savings on energy bills and potential tax benefits make this a viable and beneficial investment for businesses looking to reduce operational costs and enhance sustainability.
- It's also important to note that various government schemes and incentives can significantly reduce the upfront cost of solar panels on commercial property.
how many watts are commercial solar panels?
Three commercial system sizes are suited to your building size and energy needs. Most UK businesses opt for one of these systems and below you can learn, "how much energy does a commercial solar panel produce and how many watts does a commercial solar panel produce" - take a look.
How much energy do commercial solar panels produce?
B2B Solar PV 4kw - 10kw Solar Panels
For small to medium businesses, 4kw to 10kw solar PV systems are an excellent choice. They make a significant contribution to electricity needs, reducing reliance on the grid, and offering savings on energy bills. They can generate between 3,400 and 8,500 kWh per year, depending on location, shading, and panel orientation.
B2B Solar PV 11kw - 50kw Solar Panels
Medium to large businesses can benefit from 11kw to 50kw solar PV systems. These systems can generate between 9,350 and 42,500 kWh per year. Despite the substantial upfront cost, these systems offer significant savings on electricity bills and a faster return on investment due to the high energy yield.
B2B Solar PV 51kw+ Solar Panels
Larger businesses and commercial properties may opt for 51kw+ solar PV systems. These high-capacity systems can generate vast amounts of electricity, reducing energy costs substantially. These systems are usually custom-designed to match the energy needs of the business, making them a viable long-term investment in renewable energy.
Note: Remember the position of your panels, the and angles they are fixed on reflects on how much electricity do commercial solar panels produce.
are solar panels covered by commercial property insurance?
- As a general rule, commercial property insurance does cover solar panels on commercial property as part of the property's external fixtures or "business personal property", dependent on how the panels have been installed.
- However, it's essential to note that coverage may vary significantly between insurance providers and the specifics of individual policies. Some insurers may require additional specific solar panel coverage, especially for larger, more expensive systems.
- Damage caused by natural disasters, fire, and theft are typically covered, but there might be exceptions for damage due to neglect or lack of maintenance.
- It is highly recommended for businesses to discuss their solar panel coverage requirements with their insurance provider to ensure comprehensive protection.
benefits of solar panels on commercial buildings
- Solar panels on commercial buildings offer numerous benefits that make them an appealing option for businesses seeking to reduce operational costs and improve their sustainability. One of the most best commercial solar panels, advantages is the considerable cost savings.
- Solar power allows businesses to generate their own electricity, reducing reliance on the grid and shielding them from volatile energy prices. Over time, these savings can be substantial, often offsetting the initial installation costs.
- Furthermore, solar panels can also serve as a tangible commitment to sustainability, enhancing a business's reputation among customers, partners, and stakeholders who value environmental responsibility. This can help differentiate the business in a competitive market and potentially attract new customers.
- In addition to cost and reputational benefits, solar panels for commercial property may also provide tax benefits. In many countries, businesses can avail of tax credits, rebates, and other incentives for installing and using solar energy, further enhancing the financial viability of the investment.
- Moreover, solar panels can increase the value of commercial property. Buildings equipped with solar power systems are often seen as more modern and desirable, potentially attracting higher rents or sale prices.
- Lastly, the use of solar panels aids in the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, helping businesses contribute to the broader societal goal of mitigating climate change. Indeed, adopting solar energy represents a win-win scenario, offering economic benefits while promoting environmental sustainability.
how big is a commercial solar Panel?
- Commercial solar panels can vary significantly in size, with the dimensions typically ranging from about 1.6 metres long by 1 metre wide, to as large as 2 metres long by 1 metre wide.
- The size of a panel is determined by the number and size of the photovoltaic cells it contains. Larger commercial solar installations often consist of many panels installed together, with the total system size measured in kilowatts peak (kWp) – a unit indicating the energy-producing capacity of the system under optimal conditions.
- Keep in mind, the size of the panel you choose for your commercial property will depend on factors such as available space, energy requirements, and budget.
how long do commercial solar panels last?
- In terms of longevity, and how long do commercial solar panels last and provide a significant return on investment. The lifespan of a commercial solar panel system can typically range from 25 to 30 years depending on how well you look after them.
- However, this does not mean the system will stop producing electricity after this period. It simply means the energy production will decrease to about 80% of its original performance.
- Other things that can affect the lifespan of a solar panel include the quality of the manufacturing, installation, and weather conditions. Regular solar panel cleaning and maintenance can also extend the operational life, ensuring maximum energy efficiency and cost-effectiveness over time.
how much do commercial solar panels weigh?
The weight of commercial solar panels can vary depending on the size and the materials used in their construction. However, generally speaking, a standard commercial solar panel weighs approximately 18 to 25 kilograms.
It's important to note this weight when considering the installation, as the structure of the roof or ground mount must be robust enough to support the system. Always seek professional advice to assess the suitability of your premises for solar installation.
how many solar panels do i need for commercial building?
- The number of solar panels required for a commercial building depends on several factors, including the building's energy consumption, the efficiency of the solar panels, and the amount of sunlight received.
- As a rule of thumb, a typical commercial property might consume around 38,000 kWh per year. Using solar panels with a standard efficiency of 250W, you would need roughly 150 panels to cover 100% of your energy needs.
- However, this is a rough approximation and varies with individual circumstances. It's highly recommended to have a detailed solar feasibility study performed by a professional for a more accurate estimation.
how long does it take to install commercial solar panels?
- The duration of a commercial solar panel installation can vary greatly based on a number of factors, such as the size and complexity of the system, the condition and type of the roof, as well as the weather conditions.
- On average, one can anticipate that a commercial solar installation might take between 1 to 3 months from start to finish. This includes the initial consultation, obtaining necessary permits, ordering and delivery of equipment, and actual installation.
- The installation itself typically takes a few days to a week, depending on the size of the system. However, bear in mind that these are approximate timelines and the actual duration may vary based on your specific circumstances, the installer's schedule, and unforeseen issues that may arise during the process.
- It's always advisable to get a clear estimate from your chosen installer at the outset of the project.
is there vat on commercial solar panels?
- In the United Kingdom, the standard rate of VAT (Value Added Tax) for solar panels was reduced from 20% to 5% for homeowners and landlords as of 2019.
- However, for commercial solar panel installations, the standard 20% VAT still applies. It is imperative to include this cost when calculating the overall budget for a commercial solar panel project.
- Nevertheless, the long-term energy savings and environmental benefits often outweigh the upfront costs. Please consult with a tax professional or solar energy consultant for the most accurate and current information.
where to buy commercial solar panels?
Commercial solar panels can be procured from numerous reputable companies across the United Kingdom. Find out where to buy commercial grade solar panels from a variety of sources in the UK.
- Some of the leading providers include Solarcentury, EvoEnergy, and British Gas Solar. And there are other local companies that are best suited if you like going the local way - get commercial LINK solar quotes right here.
- These companies offer a range of products to cater for different requirements and budgets. Another option is to buy from wholesale distributors like Waxman Energy or Segen.
- They stock a vast range of panels from various manufacturers, providing more options in terms of price and performance.
- Online marketplaces such as Amazon and eBay also list commercial solar panels for sale, although it's essential to verify the credibility of the seller.
- Always remember to factor in the cost of installation, which can vary depending on the complexity of the system and the location of your business.
- It's advisable to request quotations from several providers to ensure you're getting the best value for your investment.
Why are Commercial solar panels Are the future?
Once you have selected your preferred commercial solar panels provider and taken into consideration all the numerous factors, the next step is to get a quote for the installation. Here are a few notable quotes from industry professionals and enthusiasts regarding business solar panels installation:
- "Solar energy is not just a business, it's a new way of life." - Leonardo Di Caprio, Environmental Activist and Actor.
- "Deciding to install solar panels is a long-term investment in the future of your business and the planet." - Richard Branson, Virgin Group Founder.
- "The installation of commercial solar is not an expense but an investment into a sustainable future." - Elon Musk, Tesla Inc CEO.
- "Solar panels make a statement about your business's commitment to sustainability." - Gina McCarthy, Former Administrator for the US Environmental Protection Agency.
Remember, these quotes are meant to inspire and not provide an exact quotation for your installation. To get an accurate quote, reach out to your chosen provider. Be sure to consider your unique circumstances, the size of your business, the complexity of the installation and any additional support you may require post-installation.
commercial grants for solar panels
The National Energy Foundation YouGen website is an excellent resource for those looking for free, independent advice on energy efficiency and the implementation of renewable energy sources. Its 'Find an Installer' search directory offers a convenient way to find reputable companies within your local area that specialize in renewable energy technology.
Similarly, the Energy Savings Trust provides numerous case studies, energy efficiency resources, and organises events to help businesses make informed decisions, including offering supply chain advice. For small business owners and start-ups particularly, the Smallbusiness.co.uk website curates a wide spectrum of online energy efficiency news.
If you are contemplating new plant equipment, it's worthwhile checking the GOV.UK's Energy Technology List, which features independently verified energy-efficient products encompassing boilers, lighting, air conditioning, and refrigeration equipment.
Find our more about solar grant - here.
useful links on solar power sources
Commercial Solar Planning Permission
Find your planning authority and apply direct.
Planning Permission - Solar panels - Planning Portal
Information by The House of Commons on Solar Power
Planning and solar farms - House of Commons Library (parliament.uk)